Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Growing Pains

My baby started pre-school yesterday. Okay, he's four and hasn't qualified as a baby in a while, but he's stuck with the title, likely for life. Last night he was so excited giving me all the details. Lots of other kids, awesome playground with three slides. This morning when I dropped him off his little lip started moving, his eyes grew big and he kept saying he was going to miss me. I knew the signs. After a dozen hugs, we made it through without embarrassing mom (raccoon eyes at work are so NOT attractive and I forgot the waterproof mascara) but I feel a little beat up as a result. He's probably forgotten all about me as he slides down that awesome slide.

The school has internet camera's and I should be set up this afternoon. I'm not sure if that'll make it better or worse, but I'm anxious to see him. You'd think I'd be used to this, having been through it with my teenager.

But I know the best thing for a mother in this situation. Chocolate. I'll be cheating on my diet today, likely all week. I'm not even going to give myself a hard time over it. It's not only planned, its expected. Part of the whole motherhood thing. Wait until he starts kindergarten next year!