Thursday, July 27, 2006

A good storm equals a perfect scene

Rain is in our forecast, and I'll admit I'm excited about it. We certainly need it to lower the temperatures, stop the dust from blowing and water just about everything. But that's not what has me hoping for rain.

I love a good storm. When the sky turns a deep shade of green it's dangerous, energizing, and beautiful. The dark shades of gray bring a hint of the darkness, brooding and angry. There is power in the buildup, calm in the lull of the rain and renewal of life in the aftermath. Add sound and light from thunder and lightening and you have the perfect stage. Anything can happen.

It's the perfect backdrop to feed my muse. All the elements to craft that perfect scene. My writing has been slow this month, and I blamed it on the heat. Summer sun. Most of my writing is done in the winter months, when night comes quicker, the kids are in bed early and the wind is howling outside. But even that compares to a good storm.

So the next time you see those clouds forming and hear that boom of thunder, just remember that somewhere someone is writing the perfect scene.