Monday, August 20, 2007

The Weekend...

We went rafting this weekend with friends at Spring River in Arkansas. Nothing too extreme since we took the little ones, but still a lot of fun. It was one of those strange weekends where every thing went really well or really to hell. We had plenty of both. Being with good friends and a day spent going down the river made up for the bad, I think.

I learned a few valuable lessons. One, never get separated from the mosquito spray after dark on a river. I swear my legs look like I have a bad case of measles.

Two, don’t get in a kayak with your 13 year old son when it’s the first time in a kayak for both of you. (Especially when that 13 year old knows ALL) One of us was going in head first and being the mother I felt it should be me. It was well worth it, given the scare it gave hubby since he’s the one who put said 13 year old in the boat with me. (I had been happily tucked safely in the big old raft until he decided I needed more excitement)

Three, it is possible for your toenails to hurt. Every muscle in my body is reminding me of exactly how old I am. Trust me, that’s a lot of years to be reminded of.

I’m sure there were more lessons I learned, but sitting here at work those are the ones that stick out sorely in my mind and body. :)

It was great! We’re all planning to squeeze in another trip before summer’s gone and I can’t wait.